Summer Rash Guard 2.0

When I made rash guards last year, I didn’t know what I was doing really. It was the first time I sewed with swim fabric, and it was quite the learning curve to deal with the slippery fabric.

lilli_RPX_3810.jpg

This year, though, I was able to bust these rash guard and shorts duo in no time! Yay for lessons learned. I had written down the serger settings for swim fabric so there was less testing and more constructing this time around.

lilli_RPX_3726

Pattern Description:
The pattern I used this year is the Bella Sunshine Reagan Raglan. It is a slim fit raglan shirt that can be sewn up for either boy or girl. It has different options like different sleeve lengths and neckline come in crew or v-neck. The pattern provides front and back shirt pieces in shirt, tunic and dress length. Best of all, if you join their Facebook Group, you can get this and the adult version for free!

lilli_RPX_3724_2.jpg

Pattern Sizes:
The kids pattern goes from size 6 months to 12 years. It is becoming more and more apparent that my child is thinner around (not complaining, just stating) so the shirt I made was blended between a 12m chest and 2 height.

lilli_RPX_3825.jpg

My thoughts on the pattern:
The pattern comes together pretty easily, and can be done entirely on the serger if you happen to have one – which only makes it even faster to complete. The fit is great if you follow the blending instructions provided.

lilli_RPX_3843_2

Pattern Modifications:
Having made a purple and black rash guard last summer, I wanted it to look a bit different, but wasn’t sure what to change. So I actually made a SKETCH! And it looks pretty close to the sketch, don’t you think?

file-2.jpeg

Okay, I don’t do drawings well, so this was exciting to me. I did a cutout triangle with black swim and followed it with the sleeves in the same black fabric. It was a good thing too, because I didn’t have enough fabric for the sleeves.

lilli_RPX_3731.jpg

The reverse coverstitch gives it a more athletic look. It took some time to test that out, hadn’t used all three needles in the coverstitch before. For some reason, my stitches didn’t loop correctly at the hem, luckily, I was able to hide it using my label.

lilli_RPX_3734.jpg

Once it was all done, I tried it on Lillian and she immediately said she didn’t like it. So I needed to make it more to her taste. Out came the fabric paint! Adding some polka dots did the trick. Now if she would only like swimming … sigh … one day.

lilli_RPX_3728.jpg

lilli_RPX_3848

Fabric Used:
Purple swim fabric came from Joann’s and the black swim came from an old swimsuit that I had.

The shorts were made using the same pattern from last year (Beachy Keen Bikini/Tankini by EBeth Designs)

lilli_RPX_3732.jpg

Would I sew it again? Would I recommend it to others?
Definitely! I’ll be sewing some long sleeve versions for the fall and winter. Go join the Facebook Group and get the pattern, you won’t be sorry!

Have you sewn with swim fabric before? What tips/tricks to you have for it?

lilli_RPX_3836

 

~*~*~
Some links contained in this post may be affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you purchase through these links and helps keep running this blog.
I was not compensated for this post.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: